Here’s the Minnie Mouse banner from Gwen’s second birthday party. I used my Silhouette to cut all of the shapes and the background paper is digital paper printed on my printer. For the Minnie Mouse birthday party I choose to use pink & blue colors so it was very important to find coordinating paper in these colors. I was thrilled to find a great set of papers in the perfect pink and blue colors from Lane + May Studio on Etsy.
I wanted to use pattern papers and cut out big thick letters to put on top of the patterns. This set of papers has 24 different designs and I used just about all of them (except the two animal prints).
Here’s how I made this DIY banner:
- Printed the digital paper pack onto white 12×12 cardstock. Amy from Lane + May Studio helped adjust the colors so that when I printed the digital papers the pink came out the perfect shade. I really appreciated her willingness to help make it perfect so that it would match the rest of the colors, like the pink in the ribbon wreath. Printers can be difficult because they all interpret colors differently.
- Made black heart paper (from the blue heart paper) because I needed another black print.
- Cut scalloped circle shape on the Silhouette – 5 Scalloped circles (by Lori Whitlock)
- Size – outside circle is 5.5 inches, inside is 5.0 inches
- The outside of the blue & pink papers are mounted on black cardstock. The black didn’t look right for the black/white patterns and some of the Minnie patterns so I made some solid pink and solid blue backgrounds to mount these pieces.
- Used two pieces of organza ribbon in between the scalloped circles
- Popped up the letters with three pop dots on the back of the letters
- The raised dots help make the letters show up nice on the paper. Here’s a detail view showing how much it lifts the letters up off the paper.
Here are some of my favorite banner pieces. I just love how the patterns all look together. The hearts, polka dots, chevrons, stripes
Here’s a photo the Mickey Mouse banner I made last year with digital paper & a triangle banner shape. This was the first banner I made with the Silhouette and I used Mickey Mouse used digital paper for the banner flags. See full post here.
- Scalloped Circle Shape – 5 Scalloped circles (by Lori Whitlock) Design ID #20452
- Cardstock – White Bazzil used to print all patterns and colored backgrounds, black bazzil used for letters
- Font – Luckiest Guy (cut via the Silhouette), size 305pt – search via Bing to find it for download
- Pink Ribbon – American Crafts
- Organza Ribbon – white, black and blue
- Adhesive – Pop Dots, Glue Dots
- Minnie Mouse Digital Paper Pack – Lane + May Studio (Etsy)